It would seem that EVERYONE knows how to clean a microwave. Well, until someone decides to warm-up a piece of pizza or a bowl of beans (A micro-tornado, if you ask me 😉 Using a multipurpose cleaner will do the trick, but do you really want any chemicals near your food?
So, in case you were hiding somewhere on an island (without electricity, warming up your food on a hot rock), I’d hate for you to miss these super EASY and EFFECTIVE ways to have a clean microwave in just a few minutes.
A messy microwave, with dirt and grime :/
- 1 lemon OR 1 cup of vinegar
- Small microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup
- Clean, dry dishtowel or cleaning rag
- Pour water in the bowl: Measure about a half cup of water into the bowl.
- Add lemon OR vinegar.
- Option 1: The lemon. Slice the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the water. Drop the lemon halves into the bowl.
- Option 2: The vinegar. Add one cup vinegar (into a 2-cup measuring cup or bowl with water).
- Microwave for 5 minutes: Put the bowl in the microwave and shut the door. Microwave the liquid for 5 or so minutes, so it comes to boil.
- Wait a few minutes: If your microwave is REALLY dirty, leave the door shut for about two more minutes to let the steam continue to work. The steam will help loosen up caked on bits of food.
- Wipe the microwave clean: CAREFULLY remove the cup with the HOT liquid (use an oven mitt!) and wipe out the inside with a wet rag or sponge. The dirt and food will come right off!
Would you like to share any other tips for cleaning a microwave? I would love to hear from you 🙂
Check out these other cleaning tips!